What are temporary crowns?
Temporary crowns or temporary fixed bridges are important link in fixed repair. During the period of formal wearing after the preparation of the fixed prosthesis, it is necessary to make a temporary crown and bridge for the patient, which is to protect the pulp, ensure the normal position of the gingiva, restore beauty, maintain a correct occlusal relationship and restore some chewing functions.For this reason, the temporary crown surface should be smooth, the edge should be accurate, easy to clean, will not cause damage to the patient’s peripheral tissue, and have a fixed strength and retention.
Temporary crowns can be worn for about 1 week to 1 month, which is related to the specific situation，No matter whether the teeth have nerve sensation or not, temporary crowns need to be made to protect the teeth after tooth preparation. Because the crowns can only be worn for 1-2 weeks, they are called temporary crowns.For teeth without nerves, it is also necessary to wear temporary crowns to protect the remaining teeth and avoid tooth splitting due to careless eating.
The temporary crown also plays a very important role, that is, to maintain the tooth surface space after tooth grinding, which is the thickness of each surface of the future crown，Because the position of the teeth will not be the same, and they are exercising every day. If the teeth are worn out, the original balance will be disturbed, and a new balance point needs to be established.If the temporary crown is not made, the space between the teeth will be gradually reduced until they are in full contact with the surrounding teeth and the opposite teeth.
Two techniques to make temporary crowns
There are two ways to make temporary crowns:
- direct technique: Make on the base prepared in
- Indierect technique: After the base preparation is completed, the impression is made, and the quick setting paste model is poured and made on the model.
This method is simple, does not need perfusion model, and saves time. In the past, the coagulant resin was used to make temporary crowns and bridges in the cavity. Because of its curing heat production and the irritation of monomer, it often causes damage to the patient’s pulp and soft tissue. Once the material is completely cured in the cavity, the strength is not easy to remove, so it is no longer advocated to make it.
This method avoids the stimulation of resin material to the cavity tissue, and is beautiful and durable. It is suitable for various types of repair. The disadvantage is that it requires technicians to complete this process, which prolongs the waiting time of patients.
3D printing digitalization perfectly integrates the advantages of direct method and indirect method, which not only avoids the stimulation of resin material on oral tissue, but also saves patients’ waiting time.
Three Advantages of 3D printing temporary crowns
- Aesthetic effect: The method of directly curing with resin by doctors is relatively rough, which is difficult to meet the needs of beauty loving patients nowadays. 3D technology can completely print the shape of the whole temporary tooth according to the data of temporary teeth worn by the scanned patients’ mouths and the obtained documents, and a perfect temporary tooth can be obtained with a little processing
- Timeness: It usually takes 2-3 days for technicians to make temporary teeth with resin, while it takes only 2 hours for 3D printing to complete a temporary tooth by scanning and repairing the file.
- Cost performance: the cost of printing a temporary crown is 5 RMB.
iFun 3164 temporary dental resin Indicated for up to seven-unit bridges and available in three VITA shades with excellent edge adaptability, strength and aesthetics. Using raw materials imported from the United States and Japan, the bending strength is ≥ 100MPa, with excellent mechanical properties and flexibility, strong deformation resistance, strong oral corrosion resistance, patients can rest assured to wear, and digital repair can realize a rapid and collaborative process between dentists, technicians and patients.